In the last of our Family Meals for a Fiver series, which has aimed to help cash-strapped Islanders in the ongoing cost-of-living crisis, Caring Cooks chief executive Yvonne Corbin offers a healthy meal for four
Yvonne Corbin: ‘This recipe is a great example of what you can do with store cupboard ingredients and seasonal vegetables. It is also quick and easy to make, which is key when you’re a busy chief executive.
‘I am a keen advocate of clean eating and I always like to include lots of healthy vegan dishes into my diet. This dish easily serves four people.’
Cauliflower and chickpea curry by Yvonne Corbin, £4.48
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
Garlic (1x clove), crushed
1 tsp root ginger, grated
400g tinned tomatoes
400g chickpeas (drained)
½ tsp cumin, ground
½ tsp coriander, ground
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp garam masala
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic and ginger – cook on a low heat for about ten minutes until the onion has caramelised.
2) Add in the cauliflower florets and cook for a further few minutes. A splash of water may be added to soften slightly.
3) Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala and stir well.
4) Add the tomatoes and chickpeas.
5) Continue to stir and then pour in 125ml of water, cover and simmer for at least ten minutes.
6) Add salt and pepper to taste, then top with a sprinkling of coriander.