Grenfell victim’s bone fragment found in tumble dryer

- Advertisement -

Scotland Yard has apologised after a Grenfell victim’s bone fragment was found in a tumble dryer six months after the tragedy.

The family of Mohamed Amied Neda held a second funeral after the discovery was made a few weeks ago, when police sent his clothes to be cleaned.

Mr Neda, 57, jumped from the tower block and died as a result of multiple injuries consistent with a fall.

Flora Neda (right) and her sister at the second funeral (Channel 4 News)

She told Channel 4 News: “After six months, they start cleaning, they found one piece of his bone in the washing machine.

“I’m angry with that. We are angry. Why didn’t they check proper? Why did it take so long?

“Even the police aren’t getting the answer for me.

“They tell the truth for us, I think it is respectful but we are angry because why they didn’t check first time and they didn’t tell us?

“This time is more difficult from the first time, it is more difficult, we did again.

“The ceremony … reburied, everything.”

A fragment of Mr Neda’s bone was found in a tumble dryer six months after the fire (Channel 4 News)

A spokeswoman said: “Mr Neda’s clothing was sent to an external company for professional cleaning of each item prior to their return to his family.

“Each person’s items are cleaned within an isolated environment so no cross-contamination can occur.

“It was during this process that a small fragment of bone was discovered.

“Applying the same rigorous identification regime used throughout this operation the fragment was confirmed as originating from Mr Neda.”

She added: “At no stage during the post-mortem was it identified that there was a possibility any part of his body was missing.”

Mrs Neda and her son Farhad were the only residents to make it out of the 23rd floor at the top of Grenfell tower.

Tower block fire in London
Farhad Neda and his mother speaking of their experience to Channel 4 News (Channel 4 News)

“I’m proud of him, he helped people and he died because he wanted to help more people.”

In the moments before he died, Mr Neda left his family a final message: “Goodbye, I am leaving this world, goodbye. I hope you forgive me. Goodbye everyone.”

Police believe the final death toll from the fire was 71, including a stillborn baby.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.