Police officer slashed with a sword is discharged from hospital

- Advertisement -

A police officer who was attacked with a sword has been discharged from hospital, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said.

The force said a 23-year-old man has been arrested following the incident in Whalley Range on Sunday, and that the officer is recovering at home.

One eyewitness described seeing a man detained on Upper Chorlton Road who had been “attacking the police” and carrying a 3ft sword.

GMP said they were called to Demesne Road at 1.50pm to reports of a man with a knife, and confirmed an individual was arrested at around 2.10pm.

The force told the Press Association that the injuries the officer suffered during the incident, in which he was slashed with a sword, were to the face and back.

Assistant chief constable Russ Jackson from Greater Manchester Police said the officers who had been dispatched to the incident were “confronted by an armed man”.

He said the sergeant who suffered injuries to his face and shoulder was taken to accident and emergency, and has since been released to recover at home with his family.

Mr Jackson said: “The officers responded with immense bravery to this report and while the sergeant is making a good recovery, this was an incredibly nasty incident which could have been so much worse.”

He added the force has received “an overwhelming number of messages of support and best wishes for the officers involved”.

Mr Jackson said: “I want to thank those who have sent these good wishes, it means a lot to our colleagues to have this support.

“We feel proud protecting and serving the communities of Greater Manchester.”

One witness who gave his name as Haroon said he saw a man being arrested by officers on Upper Chorlton Road, who had been “attacking the police”.

Describing how the man was carrying a “3ft tool or sword”, he said he ran across the road into the front garden of a property on the street.

“From there the police tried to stun him because he wasn’t dropping the weapon… I don’t know if the officer made a successful tase,” he added.

“He became even more aggressive and ran towards them with the weapon up in the air… from there the officers tackled him, pushed him over and then I think he ran backwards and fell over.

“That is when the officer tried to disarm him, and you could see them using their weapons (batons) and they were hitting him on the legs – and he was not letting go.

“You could see him still hitting back while he was on the floor.”

He said the man “had hit a couple of the officers”, and added that he saw them bleeding – one from the lip or nose, and another at the top of their head.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.