England will face off against Croatia on Wednesday for a place in the World Cup final.
The Three Lions overcame Sweden 2-0 with goals from Harry Maguire and Dele Alli to book a date at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, while Croatia knocked out the hosts Russia 4-3 on penalties.
Here are some facts about Croatia:
– Croatia declared independence from Yugoslavia on June 25 1991. Only nine of England’s World Cup squad were alive to see this happen, while Croatian striker Andrej Kramaric was born six days before the declaration.
– It became the 28th, and the newest, member of the European Union on July 1, 2013.
– Dubrovnik, in southern Croatia, appeared on the small screen as King’s Landing in Game Of Thrones, as did Split on the Dalmatian Coast.
– Croatia is widely credited with inventing the necktie, and International Necktie Day is celebrated on October 18.
– Hvar is widely reported to be the sunniest place in Croatia with 2,760 hours of sunshine a year – higher than England’s top spot of West Sussex with 1,902 hours annually.