No culprits found in probe after Manchester City team bus attack in Liverpool

- Advertisement -

An “extensive investigation” into disorder ahead of the Champions League quarter-final has not identified any suspects, police have said.

Merseyside Police launched the investigation after officers were injured and damage was caused to the Manchester City players’ coach ahead of the club’s match against Liverpool at Anfield in April.

UEFA charged the Merseyside club after at least one window of the bus was smashed as it travelled through streets filled with thousands of fans, a number of whom threw flares and smoke bombs.

A spokesman for Merseyside Police said the force, working with both clubs, had exhausted its lines of inquiry after sifting through hours of
CCTV and mobile phone footage provided by members of the public.

footage viewed by detectives was either clouded by smoke from flares thrown during the disorder, or didn’t show the faces of those involved

Assistant Chief Constable Ian Critchley, said: “There were a group of people intent on causing trouble and a number of items, including flares were thrown at the team coach. Thankfully no-one on the bus, or any members of the public, were injured.

“Unfortunately, several of our officers sustained injuries when projectiles were thrown towards the bus.

“It is testament to them that they carried out their duty to ensure the match went ahead.

“Following the incident detectives carried out an extensive investigation, which included viewing more than 130 hours of CCTV, body-worn camera and phone footage and we worked with both football clubs, to obtain information and evidence, in order to identify those involved.

“Unfortunately there was no further footage from those on the coach and the other footage viewed by detectives was either clouded by smoke from flares thrown during the disorder, or didn’t show the faces of those involved.

“This was an act of serious disorder by people, who spoiled what should have been a celebratory event for genuine football goers.

“We are disappointed at this time that no-one has been brought to justice and would reappeal to anyone who was at the ground on April 4, who witnessed this appalling behaviour, and has information which could help us identify those involved, to contact us.”

Anyone with information can contact police on 101 or @MerPolCC on social media.

To report anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or submit footage via their online form at:

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.