Five Filipinos who say they were sexually abused by a Briton convicted of child sex offences in England have begun giving evidence at a civil court trial.
The five – four men and a boy – say they were abused by Douglas Slade in the Philippines and want damages.
Slade, 77, who comes from Bristol but is now in prison, was not convicted of any criminal offence in the Philippines and denies wrongdoing.
A judge began overseeing a High Court trial in London on Tuesday.
Judge Mark Gargan said none of the five claimants could be identified in media reports.
One man said he was “sexually abused and assaulted” between 2009 and 2013 after being enticed into Slade’s house when he was in his early teens.
Others say they were abused in 2013 and 2014.
Lawyers believe it is the first time that foreign nationals have made such a claim against a Briton in a British court.
Judge Gargan heard that Slade had lived in the Philippines for many years.
Slade had returned to England three years ago and was arrested on arrival at Heathrow by police investigating allegations of child sex abuse in England during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
He had been given a 24-year jail term by a judge in July 2016 at the end of a trial at Bristol Crown Court, after being convicted of abusing five
boys in Britain between 1965 and 1980.
On Tuesday, barrister Justin Levinson – who is representing the five Filipinos – told Judge Gargan that one of his clients was now 20, three were in
their late teens, and one was 14.
He said Slade had abused them in the Philippines between 2009 and 2015 when they were children.
Slade had been prosecuted in the Philippines but not convicted of any offence.
Mr Levinson said his clients had suffered “personal injuries” as a result of Slade’s sexual abuse and wanted compensation.
Lawyers say each claimant hopes to win between £15,000 and £30,000.
Slade denies abusing any of the five claimants and says their allegations are fabrications.