Brothers jailed over fatal hit-and-run crash near Brighton Pier

- Advertisement -

Two brothers have been jailed over a hit-and-run crash that killed a promising young footballer and left two of his friends lying on the ground with serious injuries.

The incident occurred near Brighton Pier after a fight loud enough to wake guests in seafront hotels.

Suel Miguel Monteiro Delgado, 20, died in hospital after being hit by the borrowed car in the early hours of December 1, 2019.

Iftekhar Khondaker, 34, was jailed for life with a minimum term of 26 years for murder and two counts of attempted murder at Hove Crown Court on Thursday morning.

His brother Irfan Khondaker, 27, was jailed for three years after being found guilty of assisting an offender.

Mr Delgado and his friends had been on a night out when they came into contact with the brothers and their friend, none of whom they knew, the trial heard.

Standing up in court, his mother Sanches Graciete Montero delivered an emotional statement: “My son was by best friend, my right hand.

Suel Miguel Monteiro Delgado death
Suel Miguel Monteiro Delgado died in hospital after the crash (handout/PA)

“My life is destroyed forever.”

The Khondaker brothers, from Mitcham, south London, were in the car in the early hours of the morning when it sent the three men flying into the air and sped off, their trial heard.

Later that night, the brothers got into an Uber taxi that Irfan Khondaker had called and travelled back to their home in Mitcham, according to the prosecution.

Both were sentenced in absentia after not appearing in court.

Tyrone Smith QC, defending Iftekhar Khondaker, submitted that there was not significant pre-meditation and there had been “an element of provocation”.

Sentencing them, Judge Christine Laing QC said: “Suel Delgado was just 20 years old at the time of this death.

“He had his whole life ahead of him to fulfil his potential and continue to make his family proud of him, but that was taken from him.”

Ms Laing said Iftekhar Khondaker’s intention was to “kill three men”.

The pair had denied the offences but were convicted by jurors at the same court last week after deliberating for more than 16 hours.

The two charges of attempted murder were decided by majority verdict.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.