The mother of Claudia Lawrence has said the latest searches in connection with her daughter’s disappearance and suspected murder have left her in “utter shock”.
Joan Lawrence told reporters she was “very, very churned up” about the latest developments in the investigation, which have seen police searching gravel pits and an area of woodland just outside York.
Police believe Ms Lawrence was murdered, although no body has ever been found.
On Tuesday, detectives confirmed that an operation had begun to search the gravel pits – which are now believed to be used as fishing ponds – at Sand Hutton, to the east of York and around 6.5 miles from Ms Lawrence’s home on Heworth Road.
She said: “I’m very, very churned up, actually. It’s too much to take in.”
The missing chef’s mother continued: “I haven’t had time to really digest it and get myself together with it all, get together the possibilities, wondering where it’s all come from, wonder if it’s some information.
Mrs Lawrence added: “At the end of the day, this is very personal and it’s about me and a daughter that I haven’t seen for 12 years, and every single day is a nightmare – this is an added one.”
The mother-of-two said she still has hope, and added: “If you give up hope, you might as well give up altogether.”
“Whilst I cannot say at this stage how long the search may take, I do anticipate that a number of specialist officers and staff, including underwater search teams, and forensic experts, are likely to be at this location for a number of days.
“Whilst I am unable to disclose what brought us to this location, I would like to stress that the searches that you will see in coming days are just one of several active lines of inquiry which are currently being investigated and pursued by North Yorkshire Police major investigation team in our efforts to establish what happened to Claudia and to identify any person responsible for causing her harm.”
Ms Lawrence was last seen on March 18 2009, and North Yorkshire Police has conducted two investigations and questioned nine people in relation to her disappearance and suspected murder, but no charges have ever been brought.
Speaking after he took over as senior investigating officer in the case earlier this year, Mr Fox repeated the belief that several people know, or have suspicions about, what happened to the 35-year-old.
He said some of the information received by the force “appears extremely interesting and sparks a whole new line of investigation”, and he urged anyone providing this information to get back in touch with as much detail as possible.
He had campaigned tirelessly to get answers to the puzzle of her disappearance and spent years arguing for what became the Guardianship (Missing Persons) Bill – also known as Claudia’s Law – which allows relatives to take control of their missing loved ones’ financial matters.
Martin Dales, a friend of Mr Lawrence, said this was the first development in the case since his death, and described the situation as “bittersweet”.
He told the PA news agency: “He would have been supportive of what the police are doing, no question of that, as I am.
He added: “I hope there’s a good reason behind these searches that produces some answers for everybody: the police, family, friends, everybody involved.”
A resident living in the area near the searches, who asked to remain anonymous, told the PA news agency: “A lot of people around here and throughout York have been aware of the story since she disappeared. I imagine people (in the community) will be shocked.
“If they find her and it brings closure to the family, then it’s got to be a good thing. At least they will know what’s happened to her. It’s just sad all round.”