Man tells of ‘miracle’ escape from fatal fire with jump from third floor

- Advertisement -

A man has described his “miracle” escape jumping from the third floor of a burning building during a suspected arson attack that left one person dead.

The resident, who lives in a block of flats in Grovelands Road, Reading, told reporters that he and a firefighter made the desperate leap after becoming trapped in the blaze in the early hours of Wednesday.

“I was woken up by an alarm and heard a loud explosion. I heard the people inside screaming and shouting – I think they were my neighbours.

“I opened the door of my flat and saw a big cloud of smoke – and saw that the exit was trapped.

Firefighters at the scene on Wednesday
Dozens of firefighters attended the scene (Marc Ward/PA)

“I landed okay but hurt my leg. I think the firefighter is in hospital, but I thought it was better to break my leg than die. I think it’s a miracle how it all happened.”

A 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and arson following the fire, which has left a number of people still unaccounted for.

Reading fire scene
Firefighters view the destroyed building from a raised platform (Marc Ward/PA)

Emergency services remained at the scene into Wednesday, with police, ambulance crews and firefighters working at the badly damaged building.

The force said the incident is not being treated as terror-related and urged people to avoid the area, with road closures in place.

Another man who lives near the scene, who did not want to be named, told the PA news agency: “I was asleep this morning and we could smell and see black smoke pouring in the air.

“There’s been a bit of commotion, I’ve never seen so many police and fire engines in my life.

“The building has been really badly damaged, parts of the roof have been torn off, windows are smashed and smoke has been coming out of it for hours.”

Reading fire scene
One man said he had jumped from the third floor to escape the smoke and flames (Marc Ward/PA)

“Our officers, as well as the fire and ambulance services, are at the site. Sadly one person is believed to have died, and a number of others are unaccounted for.

“Officers have arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of arson and murder and he is in custody at this time.

“If you have any concerns for loved ones, please try and contact them in the first instance. A dedicated number is being set up for this, and details will follow very shortly.”

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.