Three bodies were found on Monday in the rubble following an explosion that collapsed a building in the southern French city of Marseille, bringing the confirmed death toll to five.
Rescuers are continuing to search the rubble for three more people who remain unaccounted for.
Two other bodies had previously been found overnight. The judicial authority will proceed to identify the victims, firefighters said in a statement.
“The hope to find survivors is still there,” he said.
More than 100 firefighters have been mobilised for the searches.
Marseille mayor Benoit Payan tweeted that “the pain and sorrow are great.” He expressed his thoughts for the families of the victims and “those who are suffering”.
A gas explosion was among the avenues of investigation being looked at, prosecutor Dominique Laurens said on Sunday.
The collapse occurred shortly before 1am on Sunday, in an old quarter in the centre of Marseille, France’s second largest city, less than half a mile from its famous old port.
About 200 people have been evacuated from their homes in the area.