Trinity lift Guernsey football’s top trophy

- Advertisement -

Joe Morley and Adam Reid’s side won 2-1 against North in a match that will be remembered for two screaming free kicks on a saturated Corbet Field.

Guernsey star Dave Rihoy put North ahead when he scored with a 25-yarder in the first half only for Trinity to come up with an even better one when left back Jon Fitzmaurice unleashed a thunderbolt of a shot that nearly broke the net.

Trinity’s winner came courtesy of veteran Jimmy Reilly in the dying moments.

Morley said: ‘It was a great victory and that on a pitch where in places it was unplayable.

We improved a lot from last Tuesday’s Wheway Cup final defeat and it was no more than the lads deserved.

‘First half we tried to play but it just would not happen.

We went down the sides in the second half because that’s where the pitch was playable.

‘Our goals were superbly taken, we should a great attitude to come from a goal down and I’ve nothing but praise for the players.

Second half we were also knocking on the door with the chances we created.’ Up until Rihoy’s goal, the game had been a stalemate in the driving rain as both teams struggled with the wet pitch.

North had the run of the play and deserved their goal when it came about seven minutes before the break.

The ball was switched to Rihoy who smacked a low drive that just beat outstretched Trinity goalkeeper Jimmy Styles.

Trinity nearly levelled a minute later when 34-year-old Reilly broke free with only Steve Gibson to beat.

But the onrushing ‘keeper did enough to put him off.

Trinity equalised on 70 minutes.

Gibson had been struggling with his kicking and he made a right hash of one that went straight to Reilly just 25 yards out.

Polson reacted and again he brought Reilly down.

Ogier reached for his cards and the Trinity players were incensed when he pulled out a yellow instead of a red, claiming that he was the last player.

However, they soon forgot their woes when dead-ball specialist Fitzmaurice spanked the resulting free kick into the top left-hand corner.

Trinity eventually got the winner with two minutes left, when they took advantage of the North players being high up the pitch for a free kick.

Another long ball was launched to find Reilly in a barren North half and he had no problems lobbing Gibson to silence the home crowd.

Trinity were then happy to count down the clock that enabled captain Darren Swanson to lift the old trophy in the drizzle.

North: Gibson; Ozanne, Page, Polson (Wilson 80), Johns; Martin, Le Page, B Duff, Rihoy; T Duff, Veron (Matthews 87).

Trinity: Styles; Hayward, Fitzmaurice, Jones, Brown; Swanson, Dodd, Watson (Craven 59), Le Roux; Reilly (Rutter 89), Banahan (Beatson, 75).

The WJ Collins Memorial Trophy final was postponed as Jersey Wanderers were unable to land in Guernsey because of fog.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.