Jersey strike back for Muratti victory

- Advertisement -

Before a crowd of over 2,500, who celebrated along with a four-piece drum quartet after the final whistle, Jersey recovered from a poor start to regain the famous Vase with goals from Dominic Maher, Chris Andrews and Peter Vincenti jnr.

Guernsey had taken the lead through Matt Warren but they failed to add to their score in the first half, when they dominated.

Daragh Duffy gave the visitors hope again 15 minutes from the end, but it was dashed as Jersey’s defence held firm and the win completed a clean sweep of the Muratti silverware at men’s, women’s and under-21 and under-18 levels for the second time since 2003.

A home win was just about merited, although Guernsey will be kicking themselves for failing to take advantage during a first half when they held the upper hand and played by far the better football.

But they could not add to skipper Warren’s 24th minute strike and Jersey bounced back to score twice in a six-minute spell to lead 2-1 at the interval.

Maher sent a rising shot into a top corner and then Chris Andrews nodded home from close range after Guernsey’s Dominic Heaume’s headed clearance flew across goal following Dave Brodie’s free kick from Jersey’s left.

Midway through the second period manager Peter Vincenti’s son Peter shot the hosts 3-1 ahead following an excellent 40-yard run.

After Duffy’s goal, both sides missing further chances, but Jersey finished victorious to increase their series lead to 48-40.

There was a frantic start to the game on a greasy surface as Guernsey goalkeeper Jody Bisson, falling backwards, made a good punched clearance, while at the other end Jersey stopper Jimmy Styles did well to gather low down when Neil Clegg touched on Warren’s free kick.

Bisson then cut out an inviting cross from Vincenti and Jersey defender Stuart André nodded clear with Clegg homing in on goal.

André made a great blocked challenge to deny Rihoy and Bisson brilliantly stuck out his right hand to thwart Crick after Vincenti had put Jersey’s top marksman behind Guernsey’s defence.

Vincenti was cautioned for a late challenge on Guernsey’s right and the resultant free kick ended with Guernsey taking the lead.

They were passing the ball with more purpose than Jersey at the time and deserved to go ahead.

Heaume won a header from the infringement and after a partial block Warren volleyed home from seven yards even though Styles got a hand to the ball.

Jersey invited pressure on themselves by conceding petty free kicks and Heaume almost punished them again but hit the side-netting from close range.

Dave Rihoy also spurned a good opportunity when firing over the crossbar.

But just six minutes before the break Jersey equalised.

Andrews’ persistence won him the ball on the half-way line and after racing up the right wing he drilled the ball in.

It eluded a couple of players, leaving Maher to race onto it and fire a rising shot in to a top corner.

Vincenti nodded over the crossbar after good play between Andrews and Bradley Vowden and with 45 minutes gone man-of-the-match Brodie lofted in another free kick and Heaume’s misfortune left Andrews with an easy nodded chance from close in.

Guernsey left the field trailing 2-1 after having bossed the opening 45 minutes.

Clegg miscued from six yards soon after the resumption, and then Styles again gathered well low down after Rihoy had created an opening.

Just before the hour Vincenti forced Bisson into another diving save after he nodded towards goal from another Brodie curling free kick.Then came the goal of the game, through a fine run by Vincenti.

Collecting a pass from Vowden, he beat two players before racing towards goal.

The Guernsey defence was square and he took full advantage to shoot low into the corner across the face of Bisson.

Styles made two good punched clearances under pressure while Heaume had a goal-bound header blocked by Vowden.

André and Joel Speight (18) and Jack Cannon (19) worked tirelessly at the back as Guernsey threw more players forward.

Heaume flicked the ball on with his head and Duffy was clear to fire his shot into the ground only for it to come up and over Styles for Guernsey’s second goal.

Styles was the busier of the goalkeepers as the game drew to a close, but he was not over stretched and it was Bisson who produced a double save to prevent Ross Crick from increasing Jersey’s lead.

Jersey: Jimmy Styles; Bradley Vowden, Joel Speight, Stuart Andre, Jack Cannon; Chris Andrews (Carl Eubank, 90), Dave Brodie, Dominic Maher, Jon Fitzmaurice (Danny Craven, 69); Peter Vincenti, Ross Crick (Gary Freeman, 89).

Cautioned: Vincenti, Freeman.

Guernsey: Jody Bisson; Darren Martin (Scott Bradford, 75), Leighton Chainey, Sam Cochrane, James McColl; Dave Rihoy, Gavin Le Page (Ollie Mackenzie, 69), Matt Warren, Dominic Heaume; Neil Clegg (Jon Veron, 57), Daragh Duffy.

Cautioned: McColl, Warren, Chainey.

Referee: Keith Stroud (Hampshire).

Assistants: Mark Le Tissier (Gsy), Nigel Hammond (Jsy).

Fourth: Nick Parker (Jsy).

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.