Court raises fines for football-related trouble

- Advertisement -

The Magistrate, Ian Le Marquand, said he had increased the fines for anyone arrested for offences relating to the football because the police had a difficult job to do under difficult circumstances.

‘The view the court takes is that these offences are more serious because there were a lot of problems going on that afternoon,’ he said.

Six of the men were charged for disobeying police officers who were manning cordons to protect celebrating Portuguese supporters from a number of drunken England fans attempting to get to Minden Place.

One man was arrested for being drunk and disorderly.

Kevin Spittle (24), of David Place, was charged with refusing to obey police in Phillips Street.

Centenier David Letto told the court that Spittle was arrested after he shouted and swore at officers and tried to take off his trousers while standing in front of the police cordon.

Although Spittle disputed whether he did try to expose himself he said he was too drunk to remember exactly what happened and pleaded guilty.

He was fined £450.

Wayne Latham (37), of Stopford Road, and Lee Perry (31), of Winchester Street, were fined £300 each for refusing to obey police as they attempted to cross a cordon blocking off the Portuguese fans in Minden Place.

The court heard that despite repeated warnings Latham and Perry would not leave the area and eventually had to be arrested.

Wayne David Blackmore (39), of Devonshire Place, was fined £300 after admitting refusing to obey an officer in Halkett Place after he tried to cross the police cordon at Bath Street.

Shane Mark Carre (21), of Grands Vaux, was also fined £300 for refusing to obey police in Phillips Street.

Centenier Letto said that Carre was at the forefront of a group of fans refusing to move when police attempted to clear Phillips Street after being pelted with bottles.

Carre struggled when arrested and had to be handcuffed and bundled into a police car.

William Emslaie (42), of Midvale Road, admitted refusing to obey an officer in Providence Street after he attempted to cross a police cordon.

Emslaie, who said he was not a football fan and even if he was he would support France, told the court he was drunk after celebrating his birthday and was simply on his way home.

He did admit that he should have chosen another route home and listened to the police officers.

He was fined £300.

John Gabriel Rocha de Oliveira (29), of New Street, so far the only Portugal fan to be charged after Saturday’s trouble, admitted refusing to obey an officer and was fined £250.

Daniel Nigel Crespel (19), of Dorset Street, admitted causing malicious damage to the window of Naughty Monkeys, Colomberie, on 10 June and told the court that he had kicked the window because he was angry.

He also admitted resisting arrest.

The case was adjourned until 4 August for sentencing.

Charles Dennis Saunders (26), of Clarendon Road, reserved his plea to a charge of obstructing a police officer on Providence Street.

The case was adjourned until 21 July.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.