Vulcan Fireworks have issued a public apology after a firework from one of their displays flew off into the gorse, which ‘went up like a rocket’, according to fire officer John Elliott.
The display should have been staged from the pier, but because people were fishing there it was decided to launch the fireworks closer to the headland.
‘It could have been avoided,’ said Mr Elliott.
‘The display was staged too close to the headland.
But Vulcan admitted responsibility straight away and we commend them for that.’ One fireman needed hospital treatment because of smoke inhalation, but he was not left seriously injured.
However, there was an explosion in the gorse and Mr Elliott says it is fortunate that no firemen were in that particular area at the time or there may have been a more severe casualty.