The man called out firefighters on Sunday morning after he returned to his bedroom at his home in St Saviour to find his bed on fire and the room filled with smoke. He then switched off the power supply and brought the fire under control using a jug of water.
Firefighters carried out an investigation and found that the PVC covering around the internal heater coils had degraded over recent years.
In a statement, the Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘Anyone worried about the condition of their electric blanket should seek the advice of an electrical engineer and have their blanket inspected.’
Each October, the Fire and Rescue Service provides an electric blanket testing service in conjunction with the JEC.