Sponsored by the TMF group, last year’s walk had to be rescheduled because of the pandemic but organisers are confident that it will go ahead this summer on Saturday 19 June – for what will be its 30th anniversary.
Since the annual event began in 1991, more than 26,000 walkers have raised over £2.4 million for local charities. It usually consists of the main 48.1-mile walk, as well as a four-section relay and a smaller 13-mile route known as the Lieutenant-Governor’s Challenge.
Chairman Edward Trevor said that around 450 people had already signed up for the walk, but that the deadline for Islanders to use the ‘early bird’ discount – which offers a reduced entry fee – had been extended to 21 March while discussions took place as to whether the walk should be conducted as usual or held virtually instead.
‘It doesn’t look too bad at all at the moment,’ he said. ‘What we haven’t decided is whether it should be a virtual walk or an actual walk.
‘We’ll certainly be discussing that at our next meeting – we can’t postpone it too long because people have got to know.
‘Hopefully, however, it takes place. We will still raise a lot of money for the charities, because that’s the whole point of organising the walk.’