ISLANDERS will soon be able to see how work is progressing to convert the first historic building given to the National Trust for Jersey into self-catering accommodation.
Although Morel Farm in St Lawrence will be a building site for some weeks to come, an open day is being planned for mid-August, almost a year after the public were last admitted to view the main house and outbuildings.
It is hoped that the first guests will be able to stay there later this year.
Situated in the rural heart of Jersey, the 17th century farmstead was gifted to the trust by Arthur Morel in 1939, two years after the organisation was founded. In 2004, his daughter, Mary Le Marquand Morel, donated the surrounding fields to the trust.
For the next 80 years it was let to tenants, but thanks to a recent grant of £2.16m from Fiscal Stimulus, the main farmhouse and two of the outbuildings – a potato store and bakehouse – are being fully repaired and renovated into three units of self-catering accommodation.
Sue Harris and Emilia Lacy of Ash Interiors have been working closely with the trust to produce an interior-design scheme that combines the farm’s historic character and surroundings with the practicalities of creating comfortable and stylish self-catering facilities.
While the main farmhouse will predominately be period in character, the bakehouse and former potato store will have a more modern design.
The company has also been involved with a number of previous trust renovation projects including its headquarters – The Elms in St Mary, Les Côtils Farm located in rural St Helier and 16 New Street.
The furniture for Morel Farm will comprise a range of appropriate locally-sourced antiques, period items collected by the trust over the years and kept in storage for renovated properties, alongside modern and recycled pieces from Island suppliers where possible.