Boyle and Weir get Parishes off and running start

- Advertisement -

Goals from team captain Jack Boyle and Calvin Weir gave the Islanders a 2-0 advantage, before Yorkshire pulled a goal back with nine minutes remaining to set up a nervy finish.

Jersey were forced to tackle hard from then onwards and a brilliant tip-over save from home goalkeeper from Euan van der Vliet kept the visitors at bay.

It was competitive throughout and just the challenge that the Island’s leading players have been looking for.

‘I was well happy with that,’ said victorious team manager James Scott.

‘It was a challenging game, extremely tough at times and just what we expected and wanted.

‘There was a lot of good football played by both teams and we scored two very good goals.

‘We wanted an occasion and we got one. There was a good turn out (around 300) and the people I’ve spoken too are happy with what they’ve seen and what we are trying to do.

‘It was nerve-racking at the end but we’ve gained a 2-1 win and we’ll take that.’

Yorkshire’s defeat was their first in four matches since their formation.

Head coach Ryan Farrell said: ‘It’s early days for us, it’s a process and we’ve only had about ten training sessions together while the Jersey lads have played together a lot more.

‘Hats off to Jersey first half they were very, very good and I thought we got back into the game second half and probably deserved an equaliser at the end.’

Yorkshire follower Richard Teale, who arrived in Jersey on Saturday and leaves tomorrow, said: ‘I think we could have done a bit better, we missed a couple and your goalkeeper made a great save by tipping that late chance over.

‘The ConIFA concept is brilliant, it gives part-time footballers the chance to play international football, whereas otherwise they’d never get that chance.

‘I’ve been to all four Yorkshire games and today’s has been the best yet.’

Jersey coach Simon Moiani said: ‘A winning start and a fantastic performance.

‘We didn’t know much about Yorkshire before the game and it was evident that as the game went on we could find little weaknesses and at half time we spoke about them.

‘It was a really, really tough game and I can’t praise the performance enough.

‘It was fairly even, but exactly what we were expecting and we prepared for that.

‘It was competitive and challenging for our players to come up against players they’ve not seen before.

‘We stood up to the challenge well and nobody disappointed because the effort was excellent.

‘James Scott and the other guys are working hard behind the scenes for more games and if we can get the funding in place, it is possible that we will play in a four-team tournament in Germany in February.’

Mark Sims, a former youth coach in Surrey, who is in the Island working in finance, said: ‘I saw the game advertised and I was interested to find out what it was all about.

‘I like watching football at this level and it’s the first time I’ve watched a game here and I’ve really enjoyed it.

‘I watch football at this end of the pyramid because it’s great seeing players playing with pride and enjoyment and not in it for the money.’

Yorkshire were quick and direct in the opening 15 minutes before the hosts settled to play a good passing games and with great compose on the ball.

Calvin Weir nodded a good chance over early on while home defence Luke Campbell made a strong headed clearance from a goal-bound effort.

Campbell did brilliantly to break up a Yorkshire attack and moving the ball quickly forward the hosts broke the deadlock – Weir pulling the ball back from a by-line for Boyle to capitalise from 15 yards.

Weir’s touch let him down when he was well placed.

Van der Vliet, at full stretch, palmed away a ferocious drive to deny Yorkshire Adam Hayton immediately after the resumption.

Both teams squandered a couple of chances before the Parishes of Jersey double their lead in the 76th minute.

Luke Watson, who was tidy in midfield despite his lack of football recently, and the energetic Karl Hinds combined to put Weir clear and he guided the ball into a bottom left hand corner.

Seon Ripley nodded home what turned out to be Yorkshire’s consolation goal, but only because van der Vliet prevented Tom Greaves with his aforementioned tip-over save.

With Jersey officials prevented from officiating because ConIFA are not affiliated to the FA, current unregistered Jersey referees Gareth Bayley, Ian Solomon and Steve Proffitt took charge of the game.

Parish of Jersey FC: Euan van der Vliet; Harry Curtis (Y), Luke Campbell, James Quérée, Jack Cannon; Calvin Weir, Luke Watson (Y), Jack Boyle (Y), Adam Trotter, Michael Weir (Zeljko Martinovic, 70); Karl Hinds.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.