A man has been arrested after a 53-year-old was assaulted ahead of Liverpool’s Champions League semi-final first leg against Roma at Anfield.
Merseyside Police posted a message on Tuesday evening, confirming an incident had taken place before kick-off and appealing for video footage.
A statement read: “We are investigating a serious assault of a man outside the Albert pub on Walton Breck Rd at about 7.35pm.
“Officers are appealing to anyone with information, or mobile phone footage to contact our social media desk via twitter @MerPolCC or Facebook Merseyside Police CC.”
Such video footage does appear to exist, with clips posted to Twitter showing clashes between supporters, ambulances in attendance and suggestions that a group of Roma fans had used belts as weapons.
A further police statement, shortly before 11pm – after Liverpool had enjoyed a thrilling 5-2 win – confirmed an arrest had been made and said the victim was being treated for is injuries.
It read: “We can confirm a man has been arrested following an assault near to the Albert public house earlier this evening.
“He has been taken to a police station where he will be interviewed by detectives. The 53-year-old victim is currently being treated for his injuries.”
There was an increased police presence around the stadium after Manchester City’s team bus had its windows smashed by bottles and cans prior to the quarter-final earlier this month.
Liverpool fans were even pictured waving flares from the roof of a police van, though with no apparent aggravation.
Chief superintendent Dave Charnock had appealed for calm prior to the game.
“We are expecting a vibrant atmosphere at Tuesday’s match, but our intention is that at the end of the day we will be talking about the game and what happened on the pitch as opposed to off the pitch,” he said.
“We know that this will be a busy operation and we hope that fans attending the match will act as ambassadors for their clubs and enjoy what I am sure will be a good game.”