Kyrgios downs Edmund to move into last eight at Queen’s

- Advertisement -

Nick Kyrgios has followed up his win over Andy Murray by knocking Kyle Edmund out of the Fever-Tree Championships.

Kyrgios ruined Murray’s long-awaited comeback on Tuesday and then sent the current British number one packing in the second round at Queen’s Club, winning 7-6 (7/3) 6-7 (5/7) 6-3.

It was largely down to a serving masterclass as the Australian sent down 32 aces and faced only one break point as he moved into the quarter-finals.

There was only one break of serve in the entire match, which Kyrgios took early in the third set, though Edmund did have a chance to break with his opponent serving for the win, but could not take it.

It was soon clear that it would be a day for servers to dominate as there were just eight points won by the returner in the opening 12 games.

That meant a tiebreak, where Kyrgios was able to turn the tide and win two points off Edmund’s serve to take the first set 7-6 (7/3).

The second set followed a similar pattern until Kyrgios got into an Edmund service game at 5-5, but the Briton fought back from 15-40 down to hold as another tiebreak ensued.

Edmund got some early momentum and led 4-0 but eventually got the job done 7-5.

The first break of the match finally came at 1-2 in the third set and it was Kyrgios that took it when Edmund set a forehand wide.

Kyrgios barely gave Edmund a look in until he was serving for the match at 5-3 when the Briton forced his only break point.

The Australian lost his temper with an expletive-laden rant at his player’s box but Edmund could not convert the break point and his tournament was over.

The pair will face off again in the doubles later on Thursday.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.