Nottingham Forest leave it late to move past Newcastle in Carabao Cup

- Advertisement -

Matty Cash and Gil Dias struck late to ensure Newcastle’s miserable start to the season continued as Nottingham Forest dumped them out of the Carabao Cup with a 3-1 win in controversial style.

Both men found the back of the net after substitute Salomon Rondon had levelled in injury time, but the Premier League side were convinced they should have been awarded a penalty at 2-1 for keeper Luke Steele’s challenge on Ayoze Perez.

Daryl Murphy’s second-minute header looked to have won the tie against his former club as the contest entered six minutes of stoppage time, but Rondon’s first goal for the Magpies looked to have secured a penalty shoot-out until Cash and then Dias gave Forest victory.

Rafael Benitez made seven changes to the side which lost 2-1 to Chelsea on Sunday as he tried to protect his big guns after suggesting the club’s summer transfer business had left his squad short, but saw his team slip to a third defeat in four matches with champions Manchester City waiting in the wings on Saturday.

There was no such drama for top-flight counterparts Everton as Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck twice after Gylfi Sigurdsson had opened the scoring to seal a 3-1 victory over Championship Rotherham.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (left) scored twice as Everton progressed (Peter Byrne/PA)

Will Vaulks pulled one back for the Millers with four minutes remaining, but Calvert-Lewin doubled his tally within seconds to win the tie.

Watford boss Javi Gracia rested his entire starting XI from Sunday’s 2-1 Premier League win over Crystal Palace, but still saw his team ease past Championship Reading 2-0.

Nathaniel Chalobah and Marco Navarro had already threatened for the visitors when Isaac Success opened the scoring from close range eight minutes before the break, his first goal since October 2016.

Debutant Domingos Quina extended the visitors’ lead in spectacular fashion 17 minutes into the second half and that proved enough to maintain the Hornets’ 100 per cent start to the season.

Substitute Aiden O’Brien was Millwall’s hero as his side came from behind twice to beat League One Plymouth 3-2.

O’Brien won it from 35 yards with a minute of a pulsating tie remaining after the visitors had led 1-0 and 2-1.

Aiden O’Brien
Aiden O’Brien’s late strike sent Millwall through (Mark Kerton/PA)

However, they were level for just three minutes when Freddie Lapado fired Plymouth back ahead, only for another substitute, Lee Gregory, to head the Lions back into it seven minutes from time and pave the way for O’Brien’s heroics.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.