Under the application, the organisation is also seeking permission to build new toilets, including facilities for the disabled, as well as improving access for all.
If approved, the tearoom would be located in the north-west wing of the lodge buildings, which currently house offices, work rooms, a laboratory, libraries and store rooms for archaeologists.
The lodge, which was designed in the ‘Arts and Crafts’ style, was built in 1925 as a tearoom, and also provided accommodation for the site’s caretaker. Recycled materials from the Prince’s Tower – which was attached to the chapels on the mound but was demolished when it became unsafe – were used to build the lodge.
A design statement which was included as part of the application says: ‘La Hougue Bie is visited by tourists, visitors and school groups. The current WC provision is poor and with the exception of a small coffee and tea dispenser in the ticket office, there are no facilities for refreshments at the site.
‘The removal of late 20th-century partition walls and a mezzanine floor in the tearoom is proposed to enable the original layout to be revealed. The fireplace – currently in the archaeological meeting room – would be exposed and all other original features such as skirting boards and architraves, will be retained.’
The main attraction at La Hougue Bie is the Neolithic passage grave inside the mound which pre-dates the Pyramids. The site also features a geological museum and a memorial to Occupation forced and slave labourers inside a German underground bunker.
La Hougue Bie was bought by Société Jersiaise in 1919 and has been managed by Jersey Heritage for more than 20 years. In the 1820s the site was developed as pleasure grounds and a hotel and bar was opened in 1850.
Following the discovery of the passage grave in 1925, La Hougue Bie came to be known as one of the most important historical sites in Europe.