Public warned not to cook while drunk

- Advertisement -

Firefighters were called to a St Helier flat shortly after midnight on Thursday after the man’s neighbour smelled smoke and spotted it billowing out from under his front door.

Two firefighters entered the flat wearing breathing apparatus and discovered the smoke was coming from an unattended grill. There was no fire and no significant damage to the flat.

The man was checked over by paramedics for smoke inhalation but was allowed to return to his flat a short time later.

Jersey Fire and Rescue said the flat had a smoke detector but the battery had been removed.

Station manager Ryan Hall said: ‘This highlights the importance of smoke alarms and we would encourage people to make sure they are working and are tested regularly.

‘If anyone is not sure how their smoke alarm works or whether it is working then they can call us for advice and we can do a home fire safety risk visit.

‘We don’t wake up from the smell of smoke normally – it is the alarm that alerts us.’

Mr Hall added: ‘When intoxicated you are not paying attention and are not alert. The occupant fell asleep while waiting for his food.

‘We would encourage people not to go home and cook after drinking. If you are hungry then microwave food, snacks and takeaways are safer options rather than grill pans and frying pans.’

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.