The blaze, which was caused by a faulty switch in the property in St Clement, was extinguished before firefighters arrived. The family escaped unharmed.
In a statement, Crew Commander John Le Cornu said: ‘This is another example of how a working smoke alarm can give early warning of a fire in your home, allowing you time to exit safely and call the Fire Service.
‘In this instance the owners’ quick actions prevented the fire from spreading. However we would always advise that the safest action would be to get yourself and your family out and call the Fire Service.’