‘Violent’ man bound over to leave Island

- Advertisement -

Scott Brown (34), was sentenced to 150 hours of community service instead of nine months in custody, and was given a two-year probation order. He was also bound over to leave the Island for three years and told that he would remain in custody until arrangements could be made for him to be put on a direct flight to Glasgow.

The Magistrate’s Court heard that he knocked two men unconscious and also assaulted another person in the park during the early evening of Saturday 29 December.

In sentencing, the Magistrate, Bridget Shaw, said: ‘The level of drunken violence you showed towards the people in the park was shocking. The people who drink in the park are vulnerable. You thoroughly deserve custody and you have one of the most persistently violent records I have seen in a long while.’

However, Mrs Shaw said that she wanted to take the long view and decided to follow the recommendation of a Probation report that said a sentence of community service imposed in Jersey could be overseen with the assistance of the probation service in South Lanarkshire.

Mrs Shaw said: ‘Something has to happen to break this repeated cycle of drink, violence, custody; drink, violence, custody. I understand that this is a high risk order. You are 34 years old and you need to start behaving like a responsible member of society. If you break the order, then you will be brought back to Jersey and you will serve the sentence here.’

Centenier Tony Batho said the man was seen on CCTV fighting with numerous people in Parade Park. He was seen to punch one man three times, with the man appearing to be unconscious.

Moments later another man went to help. ‘The second victim was knocked unconscious and was left lying beside the first unconscious victim as Brown and his girlfriend walked away,’ said the Centenier. There was also an assault on a third person.

In addition Brown admitted threatening behaviour on
the road outside Castle Quay on 27 December in the area of Cineworld. He was seen kicking yellow traffic cones and causing an obstruction.

The court heard that a car had to swerve to avoid hitting the cones. The car driver stopped to ask Brown what he was doing and the Centenier said that the defendant ran over and tried to pull the driver out through the window of his car. This was denied by Brown and he was sentenced on the basis that event did not happen.

However, he admitted opening the passenger door of the car and trying to get to the driver, who drove away.

Advocate Heidi Heath, defending, said that that her client had long-standing issues of aggression and alcohol, but she said that he wanted to change his ways and had engaged with the Alcohol and Drugs Service while in prison.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.